top of page
  • Writer's pictureZack Jurkowski

Can General Contractors Do Their Own Plumbing?

The regulations and laws around who is allowed to perform plumbing work vary from place to place, so it's important to check the specific requirements in your area.

Can I Do My Own Plumbing Work In Quebec?

In Montreal, Quebec, Canada, the plumbing trade is regulated by the Corporation des maîtres mécaniciens en tuyauterie du Québec (CMMTQ), which is responsible for issuing plumbing licenses and regulating the plumbing trade in the province.

According to the CMMTQ, plumbing work must be done by a licensed plumber or by an apprentice working under the supervision of a licensed plumber. This means that general contractors in Montreal are not allowed to do their own plumbing unless they hold a valid plumbing license.

It's important to note that the regulations around plumbing are in place to protect public health and safety. Poorly installed or maintained plumbing can lead to a range of issues, including leaks, water damage, and even health hazards such as exposure to bacteria or sewage. Hiring a licensed plumber ensures that the work is done safely and to code, protecting you and your home from potential issues.

If you're planning a renovation project that involves plumbing work, it's a good idea to hire a licensed plumber to handle the job. This is ideal if your goal is to upgrade or change a faucet, toilet or outdoor hose bib.

If you're planning a more extensive renovation, for example remodeling your kitchen or bathroom, you may be better served hiring a licensed general contractor. You can work with your general contractor to coordinate the plumbing work as part of the overall project, but be sure to verify that the plumber they plan to use is licensed and in good standing with the CMMTQ. This will give you the peace of mind that the work is being done by a qualified professional and that your home is in good hands.


Montreal Contractors is a qualified company, holding an active bonded license as a General Contractor and Specialized Contractor with the Régie du Bâtiment du Québec (RBQ License: 5767-5480-01), ASP Health & Safety Certification and a $2M liability policy. Our employees have all passed background checks, are registered with CNESST and have their ASP Health and Safety certification.

59 views0 comments


bottom of page